The National Democratic Congress (NDC)’s congress to elect a flagbearer will now take place on January 26, 2019.
The new date was announced after a meeting of the party’s National Executive Committee and the Council of Elders, following concerns raised by some flagbearer aspirants when GHȻ400,000 was announced as filing fees for the presidential primaries.
The party, on Wednesday evening, issued a statement detailing new guidelines to govern its presidential primaries.
Read the statement below;
The Functional Executive Committee (FEC) acting on behalf of the National Executive Committee (NEC) and upon advice from the Council of Elders has reviewed the guidelines for the Presidential Primaries as follows:
- That section 9 of the guidelines is amended to read:
- i) Each contestant shall pay a non-refundable filing fee of Three Hundred Thousand Ghana Cedis (Ghc300, 000.00).
- ii) Female contestants shall pay One Hundred and Fifty Thousand Ghana Cedis (Ghc150, 000.00) while Persons With Disabilities shall pay an amount of One Hundred Thousand Ghana Cedis (Ghc100, 000.00).
- The timetable is also revised as follows:
- Picking of nomination forms by aspirants who petitioned the Council of Elders is hereby extended to Saturday 8th December, 2018 excluding Friday 7th December 2018 which is a National holiday.
- The following dates shall also apply:
- i) Filing of nomination – 17th – 18th December 2018
- ii) Vetting – 21st – 22nd December 2018
iii) Balloting – 22nd December 2018
- iv) Appeals – 22nd – 24th December 2018
- Consequently, the new date for the Primaries is now Saturday 26th January 2019. For the avoidance of doubt all other provisions of the guidelines remain unchanged. These decision has been communicated to the Council of Elders, who will be meeting the petitioners tomorrow Thursday, 6th December, 2018 to convey the decisions herein.
FEC wishes to use this opportunity to reassure all aspirants of a level playing field to ensure that the outcome of the elections shall reflect the true wishes and aspirations of the entire membership of the NDC.